Monday, June 16, 2014

The Iconic Dallas Television Show

Today at lunch, Hubby was talking about the phenomenon that the television show Dallas was back in the day. He was trying to describe to an ON DEMAND generation how businesses would close early, people would race home, all to be able to watch Dallas.


Our kids cannot comprehend life without a DVR or music that is kept on a phone, so it was eye-opening to them to realize how life was different back then.

Hubby explained to them how the episode which would finally reveal to the world Who Shot JR? had more viewers than the Superbowl that year!!!!  Unbelievable. On November 21, 1980, more than 350 million viewers, in over 57 countries cleared their schedules so they can find out who had shot JR. I remember the delay in finding out the answer because at first, Larry Hagman refused to report to the set until his salary demands were met. Shrewd man, right? Also, the writers' strike that year also caused a delay. I remember people wearing t-shirts that said I Shot JR.  Bumpers on cars would have stickers that referred to this fictional shooting as well. The whole world was caught up into this phenomenon.

It truly was an iconic television show.  Larry Hagman paved the way for actors, such as the cast from Friends, to demand higher salaries. After all, he is the one the public recognizes and tunes in to see. What shouldn't he make more? The producers wouldn't be making all that money on the entire franchise of the television show if it weren't for him. As one who supports capitalism, I applaud him. As one who think entertainers/athletes make more than is really necessary, not so much.  He played the part so incredibly well, which I am sure it helped that he was actually a native-born Texan from Weatherford, Texas. He definitely had the business drive JR had.

When we used to live in Texas, we would travel to Dallas to see Hubby's family members. When the skyline would come into view, like in the opening of the show, we would start humming the theme song at the top of our lungs. Oldest Son usually watched us from the backseat with the look of one who realized therapy would be in his future. It's actually ironic Hubby would do that, because although he was raised just outside of greater Dallas, today he refers to it as the Big Toilet. (Hubby is a country boy and there is just too much traffic and people there now for his taste. He converted to being a West Texan long before he met me.)

Oldest Son reminded me at lunch today that when we first moved here to Utah, I used the Dallas theme song as my ringtone. I had forgotten all about that! I found a recording I could use and it is now my ringtone once again!

I, too, can only be in the Dallas area for a brief time, as the angry drivers really get on my nerves. However, the skyline is special to me. The building, which my younger kids refer to as the Ball Building, is actually called Reunion Tower. At the top, is a revolving restaurant and that is where my dear Hubby proposed to me!

As incredible as this story is, how much more fantastic would it have been if people had poured their time and energy into a show presenting the Gospel? Or the money given in actors' salaries were put to Missions? Makes one wonder.

If you have a minute, click on the video for a trip down old tv show memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment