Monday, February 4, 2013

Comparisons Are a Trap

My devotion that I read for today was excellent. It deals with the trap we get ourselves into when we compare ourselves to others.

Joneses Are Over-Rated

Boy, does Satan love it when we compare ourselves! He knows it is a sure-fire why to destroy our confidence and we start doubting ourselves. Starting doubting what God is doing in our lives.

The author of this devotion writes that we are constantly seeing what "the Joneses" are doing. As opposed to yesteryear,  you would run into the Joneses once or twice week. You know, that "perfect" family. However, via the internet, we are bombarded with running into the Joneses.

This author mentions posts she reads online from people.  Yes, social media sites do have some good to them. But if you are constantly reading about the accomplishments of others, you can start to compare yourself. How come my child doesn't do as well in school as hers? Why is their marriage so much better than mine? They got a new car AGAIN??? 

Funny that this came up. I love the social media sites for the purpose of catching up. I like seeing the new family photos, knowing which child is in what grade, and so on. I also like the Christmas newsletters people send out for that purpose. But I bet you have come across those who use these venues to do more bragging than catching up. Oh, they might throw some stuff in there about how God has blessed them, so they can justify bragging.  A friend and I were discussing those newsletters last month. In response, I composed a fake family newsletter. It contained all the things people don't include in their newsletters. She and I got a kick out of it.

The point being: by all means, keep in touch with people. Let them know about the blessings God has given you; if you are truly giving God all the glory. Post news and photos on Facebook. I am doing the same by having this blog.

I think a good gauge of whether I am bragging when I post is this: if I write something on my blog and no reads it, or responds to it, and that bothers me...

then I wrote it for the wrong reasons. I was wanting accolades. 

Facebook can be great. But if you posted a picture of your family and no one comments on how great you all look, are you okay with that?

Facebook, Christmas newsletters, and my blog. All of these can be great for staying in touch and giving God the glory, but they do have the trap of wanting to be instantly "patted on the back".

Our identity is in Christ... not in our status in life.





No comments:

Post a Comment