Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Original Fantastic Four

This week I have been mulling over these verses in Galatians:
Brethen, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.  Galatians 6:1-2
Then tonight I was reading Mark 2 about the four men who took their friend to Jesus to be healed. I thought that was a wonderful, tangible example of those verses in Galatians!

Years ago, we had a visiting preacher (I wish I remember who it was) who called these four men the "Original Fantastic Four".

  • Dan Determination
  • Frank Faith
  • Charles Compassion
  • Larry Love
These men did indeed exhibit these characteristics.

  • Their friend was crippled... overtaken in a fault
  • But they were healthy... ye which are spiritual, 
  • Took their friend to see Jesus... bear ye one another's burdens 
  • So he could be healed... restore such an one
Granted, I know the verses in Galatians are not specifically referring to physical burdens, but I could not help but think of that example. We are to help each other physically and spiritually. These men did not stop their mission to help their friend because it got too hard. They did not get discouraged. They didn't say to themselves, Well, he's been crippled all this time, what difference does it make if he waits another day?

I know there are times I find myself to be a selfish being and really don't want to "restore such an one in the spirit of meekness".  But I then think, What if it were me that needed the restoration, the help? Would I want someone who could help, not help, because he/she was too busy or too tired? Naturally, that spurs me on to ask the Holy Spirit to forgive my selfishness and work through me. I should never forget to ask the Holy Spirit to give me the determination, faith, compassion and love to help others. 

Besides, the rest of those verses are important. We are to do this "restoration" in a spirit of meekness, because we never know when we may be on the end of needing such help from our Christian brothers and sisters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment