Thursday, June 19, 2014

Looking Back

I love this old photo I took years ago of Hubby and Only Daughter holding hands. When I look at it, it reminds me of the important, and sometimes daunting, task of raising kids.

One aspect of raising kids is nurturing their special interests and talents. Recently, I have seen the results of that in Oldest Son.

Years ago, I had to remind myself to be patient when Oldest Son would try to think of an innovative way of to do a chore; for example, take out the trash. The time spent doing it his way was much longer than it would have been to just take out the trash. Sometimes, I was patient and allowed him to follow his special interests. Other times, not so much.

However, now he is an adult. I am really seeing great results from letting him solve problems his way. For starters, in Oldest Son I have my own in-home tech support. No trying to interpret an Indian accent.  Also, during choir practice the other day, Oldest Son was the only sound/media guy there, but he was needed in the choir loft because the song had a solo that he sings. No problem. Oldest Son came into the choir loft and operated the sound system that's located at the back of the church by using his smartphone. I have to admit, I was exceedingly proud of him on that one!

I am not writing this to say I was this great mom who really pushed this on Oldest Son. I just want to remind myself with the other children to allow them to develop their talents. It does make me excited to see what the other kids are going to down with their special interests and talents. For all my kids, I pray those are used for God's glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment