Saturday, March 2, 2013

Psalm 90:12

"So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom." 
Psalm 90:12 
This devotion really touched my heart. It motivated me to want to do better at ministering to people even though life is hectic.


http://www.proverbs31.org/devotions/what-could-mean-world-someone-2013-03/


Taking the time to reach out to someone speaks volumes. Not taking the time to reach out to someone when he is hurting also speaks volumes.

Mom's death hit us all really hard. Some friends of mine really stepped up to the plate and just showed their love toward us during that time. Several of my friends came to the memorial service even though it was out of town for them. Several of my friends called and offered love because they were not able to make it to the funeral. One friend of mine came to the funeral even though she is always super busy at work. Numerous of my cousins attended and it was quite a drive for them. Texas is not known for its short distances between towns.

My sister's church there in the same town showed us tremendous love, and Mom was not even a member of their church. These church members provided a meal for us and for all of our relatives who had come in town (not a small number of people to feed!) and then numerous of them drove over an hour away to attend the service at the graveside. Some from that church brought breakfast items to Dad's house to help feed the crew staying there. Mom had loved this church and its members. Their response shows a clear reciprocation.

I don't list these things to show a deficit in the actions of others. I list these because it shows how these people carved out time in their busy lives because they saw a hurt in ours.

Jesus did take time to just talk to people. No one can say Jesus wasn't busy, either. He was a bit busy living life as a mortal man, walking great distances to teach crowds, teaching His disciples doctrine, healing people, performing miracles which demonstrated His power over all things, answering sarcastic questions from Pharisees, and occasionally, he was able to fit eating and sleeping in there.

Now, if Jesus took the time to stop and talk to people, can't I? Am I any busier than Jesus?

The answer is I am not. No matter how hectic my life may seem, I truly do have to time to just send a text, call, drop off some food... you name it.

I shudder when I stop to consider all the times I missed out on ministering. I know I have. To those people, I truly am sorry.  After Mom's death, there is one person I didn't hear from and that has left a hurt. It was a person I thought for sure would take time to call when learning of Mom's passing. Not hearing from her shows me her busyness is more important than my hurt. I want to remember that in my interaction with others.

I want to challenge myself to find ways to fit ministering to others into my schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment