Monday, June 24, 2013

We Are the Baptists at the Barbecue



This past weekend, our neighborhood did something we have never done since we have lived here.

We had a block party!

Our neighbors, who are diagonally across the straight from us, organized it. Bless their hearts...they probably are still tired! That couple is so sweet to us and treats our kids like grandkids.

If you don't know where we live, I will have to fill that in because otherwise, this post doesn't make sense. We live in Utah. We are Baptists. We are a minority.

Back in 2004, a movie came out that the LDS produced called, "Baptists at Our Barbecue". It was supposed to be a comedy about a fictional town that was equally divided between Mormons and Baptists. Obviously, this fictional town was not located in Utah, as I know of no town where the Mormons and Baptists are in equal number. Anyway, the Mormons in the movie hold a big barbecue to try to end the feud between the two groups.

Now, this movie does not reflect how we view our neighborhood at all (and hopefully, their view of us) but I couldn't help but think of the title as we were heading out the front door.

We met numerous families and it was a really good event. We were all embarrassed to admit we have all lived here this many years and haven't gotten out and introduced ourselves better. The couple who organized this, Tom and Judy, do know everyone by name for miles around! They are such a sweet couple that everyone loves them.

It was evident in conversations we were a minority. We very well may have been the only non-LDS family there.  You would hear words such as "bishop", "ward", and "temple" in casual conversations. An elder who is serving his mission here, asked what ward I attended. (ward is a group of members in a certain geographical area; similar to congregation) I responded that I went to Faith Baptist Church. He replied that he used to be Baptist. I truly wished it would have been appropriate to ask him how that conversion came to fruition. While talking with folks, there were some people who showed their surprise on their faces when I mentioned we attended Faith Baptist, but they were very polite. Naturally, this led to asking if the military brought us to Utah, which of course, it did, by God's hand. I explained that even though we were retired, we really were involved with and loved our church family, so we have stayed in Utah.

Normally, I don't say I am Baptist...I much rather say I am a Christian.

Sidenote: don't read into that as I am ashamed to be a Baptist. :)

However, in our area, the LDS call themselves Christians too, so to make the distinction, I do say I am Baptist.

Hopefully, these connections we made will get stronger and people will come to know Jesus. They need to see a difference in us, so I pray they will.

It truly was good to meet everyone and visit. Oldest Son knew some of the people already from serving on Syracuse Youth Court and going to Davis Applied Technology College. Youngest Son is already known by many, as he definitely has the spiritual gift of fellowship. In fact, we thoroughly enjoyed watching him walk around like he owned the neighborhood.

If you could, please take a moment and pray for our dear neighbors. We want them to know the Truth because the Truth will MAKE them free.
Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
John 8:31-32




No comments:

Post a Comment