Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Ears and Hearing

My kids in my little home school academy are learning about the human ear and how hearing works. Well, let's restate that as: I HOPE they are learning! We'll see how well they assimilated the information when review time comes around.

We read from the books we are using as textbooks this morning. Since we were on the subject, I decided to give them a little insight on how things are for their father, who suffers from tinnitus. I had two of the children make a high-pitched squeal non-stop. The other two then performed the intermittent tone over the squeal. Their faces cringed as they heard the raucous noise.

"That is what Dad hears all the time, every day."

It was clear they were more understanding of what Hubby goes through. Honestly, it reminded me to be more patient during those times when he doesn't hear me.

Anyway, about the human ear and our sense of hearing: I found a couple of youtube videos that explained things quite well. I thought to add them here. I sometimes dread posting things from youtube because the comments and sidebar video clips are often not appropriate. I like that these videos are using a 3-D model, so it really showed the kids the human ear.


No comments:

Post a Comment