Sunday, May 8, 2016

Find Us Faithful

Our church has been learning new songs and some of them really minister to me. However, I'm not one to toss out our old songs. Since I'm a girl from the 80's, I still have several favorites from that era. One of them is the Steve Green song, Find Us Faithful.

I have sung this song before in church services. I have always loved the words. The chorus has wonderful words:
O, may all who come behind us find us faithful
May the fire of our devotion light their way
May the footprints that we leave
Lead them to believe
And the lives we live inspire them to obey
 I dusted off this song the other day and these words hit me in a new way, especially toward the end:
After all our hopes and dreams have come and gone
And our children sift through all we've left behind
May the clues that they discover and the memories they uncover
become the light that leads them to the road we each must find
Now that my mom has passed away, these words have a more powerful and personal meaning to me. My sisters and I have sifted through what Mom left behind. Although we all already have a personal relationship with Jesus, the clues Mom left behind would have led us to Him.

Only Daughter received one of Mom's Bibles. There are a multitude of hand-written notes in the covers and margins.




This is a note where she had written my name and a date. The ink has blurred over the years, but I think it says "July 77".  The verse is Psalm 48:14 which says, "For this God is our God for ever and ever: He will be our guide even unto death."  I think she wrote that as a verse she was claiming for me while we were on furlough back here in the states.



These notes here are some of my favorite. These are verses she claimed for our family's ride home in the summer of 1977. My parents were serving on the mission field in Okinawa. We had flown back to the states on furlough. However, we had a little trouble getting back to Okinawa. We were using the Space Available service with military flights. At this point of time, my dad was retired, so we were hardly the first on the list to get seats. And trying to get six seats altogether...almost an impossible task. Almost, that is. But God did have a flight for us. However, we spent twenty-one days living in the terminal at Travis Air Force Base in California before that flight. We got to know people while there. I was very young at the time, so my memories are quite clouded and limited. However, knowing my parents, they were probably ministering to those around them. I love how Mom claimed a verse for each of us during that wait.

That is one of the memories I have sifted through. And yes, I have found Mom to be faithful. Now the task at hand is to leave the same for my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment