Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mammogram Controversy

This was my first year at my annual check up where I was encouraged to get a mammogram. I took the paper I needed to make an appointment but all the while in my mind thinking, "I want to learn more about this first". 


I have been reading various articles on mammograms for a couple of years now. Mammograms are exalted as the epitome of cancer detection methods in our country. But do people realize that the very method to detect cancer is also something that can CAUSE cancer?

I realize I am not a doctor and do not know more than they. I do know, however, that I want what is best for my body far more than they do, so I feel it is important to get out there and learn some things to help me make an informed decision. I do not want to follow some doctor blindly just because he/she is a doctor.

I think my doctor on base is realizing this as I am never disrespectful, but say no to treatments of which I cannot agree.  :)

This article and others at Natural News is very informative about mammograms. Facts are presented.  Looking at the rates of false positives tells me mammograms are not the ultimate cancer detection weapon.

NaturalNews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment